Orange Tick Guaranteed offer
Orange Tick Speedy sale
Orange Tick No viewings or repairs
All of the information regarding the current regulations regarding Living In Europe post-Brexit is available on the Government website but Spring are on hand to help you better understand a few of the key factors and how you can prepare for a potential move to the continent.

Can I Still Move Abroad After Brexit?

The cold facts of Brexit now state that British nationals no longer have the automatic right to live or work anywhere in the EU anymore. Unless you have been doing so previously, the process of moving abroad is now notably more tricky than it once was. But by no means impossible.

Currently, you have the option of staying in an EU country for up to 90 days without having to go through any strenuous paperwork. If you are looking to make that move more permanent, however, you are now required to apply for a visa and comply with any national government requirements which will vary from nation to nation. We examine a few of the most common destinations below:

Emigrating to Spain

As with many other countries, emigrating to Spain will require a UK citizen to meet certain criteria as well as register as a Spanish resident. Meanwhile, anyone moving to Spain in order to work would require a visa (although this is something that your employer may be able to help with).

The requirements for moving to Spain involve paying the processing fees for the various permits you will require (residence and work permit), have a clean criminal record as well as suitable health cover. In addition to that, you may also need to demonstrate that you have the financial means to support yourself and any dependents - this typically involves showing that you earn at least £2,000 per month.

Emigrating to Germany

Currently, the maximum time you can spend in Munich as a UK citizen is 90 days - much like many other EU countries, wishing to stay longer requires a work visa or the approval of resident status. You must register at your address in Germany and not the UK.

In regards to residence, there are a number of different types of residence permits to apply for.

Temporary Residence Permit

This is primarily for people moving abroad when they study or their job takes them to a different country for a prolonged period of time.

EU Blue Card

The EU Blue Card is more often reserved for highly skilled non-EU individuals looking to work in EU countries. Highly skilled is usually described as having achieved a degree, however it is generally favoured towards those with further education qualifications in maths, science, engineering etc.

Permanent Residence Permit

As the name suggests, this is aimed at people looking to live in Germany for as long as they wish, leaving and entering the country when you require.

The Permanent Resident Permit can be given to those with a Temporary Resident Permit or EU Blue Card after five years when they eventually qualify for it.

In Germany, they expect you to be proficient with the language (to at least B1 level), hold a valid passport from your original country as well as a number of other requirements. Much like Spain, you will not be allowed to emigrate if you have a criminal record.

Emigrating to France

The first step to begin your move to France is applying for a long stay visitor visa. This will allow you stay in the country for a year however it can be arranged for longer if your needs require. If you are planning on only staying between three and six months, you can apply for a temporary long stay visa.

The requisites for obtaining a long stay visa are:
  • Securing rental accommodation for your time in France
  • The financial means to support yourself (this is very similar to Spain insomuch as Spain ask that you earn at least €2,000 a month while France requires at least €65 a day).
  • Healthcare cover that is suitable for travelling. This was the EHIC European Health Card but will now be the Global Health Insurance Card
  • At least 15 months left of your UK passport.
If you can meet all of these and you obtain the long stay visa, you will then be entitled to apply for France’s Residency Permit which is known as the Carte de Sejour. For more information regarding the Carte de Sejour, VisaGuide have a comprehensive breakdown of it here.

For all non-EU citizens looking to permanently move to France (or at least for a long period), the language requirement is proficiency to level A2 which is considered to be sufficient for tourism. In comparison, Germany expects B1 proficiency, which is understanding of basic texts and subjects relating to their field, erring closer to fluency than France.

Many EU countries have very similar requirements and processes to Spain, Germany and Italy. However there is never one set method when it comes to emigrating. We encourage anyone planning on moving abroad for a long period of time (anywhere from three months to fifty years and beyond) to thoroughly research the destination and the current regulations in place.

Emigrating Out Of Europe

Australia, New Zealand and the US have long been popular destinations for UK migrants. If you are moving there for work, your employer will be able to help you through any processes and you will not be left in the lurch. If, however, you are doing this of your own accord, maybe for a fresh start, there are a few things you need to be aware of. As is the case with many European countries, they consider it a requirement to be earning a certain amount when you arrive. You should consider your current and future financial state before committing to emigrating.

Another thing to be mindful of is that any qualifications you have such as a degree or equivalent diploma may not be officially recognised by a country's government.

Your Living Situation

One of the biggest hurdles to overcome when moving abroad is ensuring you have your feet on the ground when you arrive. You need to decide far ahead of time whether you will be renting a property or buying outright. The overall cost of living can be significantly lower in other countries compared to that of the UK so buying outright could see you upscale your standard of living.

With this in mind, deciding what to do with your current property in the UK will have a major influence on your move. Emigrating, regardless of where you go, is not cheap which is why many people choose to sell their home in order to fund their move. If moving abroad is something you want or need to do very quickly, Spring can help.

We have a history of helping people sell their homes in order to relocate. We offer a sell house fast service which means we can buy your property and have the money in your account in as little as seven days or in a time frame that suits you. Equally, our team have plenty of experience in working with ex-pats, buying their homes after they have emigrated. If you wish to learn more about our we buy any house service, you can click here.

To find out more about our services or to talk to a member of our team of property buying experts, contact us today.

After we receive your details, one of our Property Advisors will call you within 24 hours to confirm details about your home and to explain our process if you choose to proceed. For more about selling your home to Spring view our FAQS

Receive an offer

  • Hidden